Thursday, July 15, 2010

Feathered Friends

One of the things I enjoy about the Chicken Dance Ranch and the local surroundings are the birds. I could sit for hours and watch them. Which I often do, camera in hand. I don't know what's what when I see most of them, but I sure do like them.

My favorites are the hummingbirds. We have a feeder just outside of what will be the living room window. The hummers are great entertainers. The most I've seen at once are four of them fighting over who's turn it is to eat. They climb and dive, putting on great displays for a potential mate. There's never a dull moment with the hummingbirds around.

Hummingbirds in Action (Rufous or Calliope still to be determined)

We are also in the migration route for sandhill cranes - heading south in the spring and returning north in the fall. This spring, we were lucky to catch some of them on the journey to the San Joaquin delta area as well as resting after a long day's flight.


Sandhill Cranes Migration

Rest Stop

One day, we took a side trip up to Buzzard's Lake in Okanogan County. I saw the prettiest duck that I later found out was a Ruddy Duck. I think it was courting another duck based on the little noises it was making.


Ruddy Duck

Not too far from our house is a snag by one of the lakes that seems to attract lots of birds. One day I spotted this Red-tailed hawk searching for a meal.


Red-tailed Hawk


This Red-naped Sapsucker was having a good time on an old utility pole in the Methow Valley.


Red-naped Sapsucker

One drawback to having our feathered friends around is their ability to nest in places that they shouldn't. Just the other week, we heard a noise coming from the refrigerator compartment on our camper. Unfortunately, a little tiny bird, species unknown, started nesting behind the frig. We had to dismantle the nest because replacing the refrigerator should something get blocked would be a very expensive proposition. I bought mesh and screened the ventilation holes for the frig to keep the little birdies out. Sorry, guys.


Nest in the Refrigerator Compartment


Look closely and you can see the new screening

On a future post, I will share some of the furry critters that make their home near or on the Chicken Dance Ranch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the hummingbirds are Rufous Hummingbirds because of their shorter stunted look and because you can detect some brownish colors on the birds. Especially on the ones on FB and this one hovering.

Kathleen Wruck said...

Your photos are great!! I esp. like the Brunswick hummer feeder - ; ) Nice work!!