Monday, August 17, 2009

My World Tuesday #45 - Mukilteo Lighthouse Station

Mukilteo Lighthouse


Keeper's Quarters


Front of Keeper's Quarters

Fun Facts about the Mukilteo Lighthouse Station:
- Opened in 1906
- Convertered to electricity in 1927
- Automated in 1979
- 36 steps to the top of the lighthouse
- 4th Order Fresnel lens
- Light is visible for 12 miles (19 km) on a clear day
- Light operates 24 hours per day, 2 seconds on, 3 seconds off
- 2 Coast Guard Families lived in the 2 keeper's quarters until 1996
- Ownership turned over to the City of Mukilteo in 2001

Now that you've seen a spot in My World, click on the badge below to see some others. Or share your own! Thanks to the My World team - Klaus, Sandy, Ivar, Wren, Fishing Guy & Louise!

17 comments:

Ebie said...

Hi Sally, I find light houses very interesting. We in the coastal areas are so lucky to have light houses. I even climbed up to the top on a very narrow staircase. I love the reds!

Anonymous said...

So beautiful and so clean looking. So pleasing to the senses.

Have a great week.

Martha Z said...

That is a very pretty little light house.

Cezar and Léia said...

What a wonderful set of pictures! All of your last posts are so well-captured and informative, thanks for sharing!
God bless you!
Cezar

James said...

Very nice pictures. The lighthouse seems so small it almost reminds me of a playhouse.
I love lighthouses and I would love to be in one during a violent storm.

poefusion said...

I love lighthouses. John and I have pictures of one in Virginia and Chicago. The one in Chicago you had to ride a boat to see it up close. Your photos are beautiful. Have a great night.

Sylvia K said...

I love that lighthouse! Have been there and your shots capture it perfectly! Great post, Sally!

Have a great week!

Sylvia

Snap said...

There's just something romantic about lighthouses. This one is gorgeous. Thanks for showing us, Sally!

DeniseinVA said...

Great photos of one very beautiful lighthouse.

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

That is wonderful to see.. what is strange I should of seen this at some time...as my sis lived in Mukilteo!!

Rajesh said...

The architecture of both the buildings are interesting.

Beautiful world.

Gaelyn said...

That lighthouse looks like a miniature, only 36 steps?
Great captures Sally.

Arija said...

A lovely place! I would love to live in the keeper's cottage.

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

That is a darling lighthouse! We love touring them when we find them - we were just on a boat tour in Chicago & got to see their lighthouse - I guess they don't have anyone living there to take care of it anymore (fully automatic now) because the last keeper had too many wild parties there - what a hoot!!

SandyCarlson said...

A beautiful light house!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Sally: That is a wonderful old lighthouse. I love to see them.

EG CameraGirl said...

Neat photos. I, like most people, LOVE lighthouses. ;-)