Monday, August 31, 2009

My World Tuesday #47 - The Pinks Are In

Pink salmon are returning to spawn in our local rivers including the Stillaguamish, Skagit and Snohomish Rivers. The males develop a large hump during their spawning run which gives the pinks the nickname of "humpies". Pinks are so named because of the pink color of their flesh. They are also the smallest of the true salmons with the average size being 3-5 lbs although some can get up to around 12 lbs. They have a two-year life-cycle before returning to spawn and in Washington, the spawning runs only occur in odd-numbered years.

Many people consider pinks to be less desirable for eating. We generally will eat fresh pink salmon on the day it is caught and then smoke any remaining filets. Karl makes outstanding smoked salmon. This year we might try to can some of the smoked fish rather than freezing it. We've never done it before but have been told it is very good packaged that way.

This year looks to be a good run for the pinks. We've had some years in the past where the pink season didn't open due to low numbers of returning salmon.

I drove up to Mount Vernon along the Skagit River to check out the fishing action. There was plenty of activity and I even saw a pink being hauled into one of the many boats on the river.

Ready - Aim - Launch!
One Lucky Fisherman

Fishing for pinks in can be a challenge since you are required to use barb-less hooks and live bait is not permitted. Buzz bombs and pink jigs are popular gear for catching the pinks. If you enlarge the picture above, you can see a pink jig in the fish's mouth.

Oh so close, only to lose it

Lined Up Along the Skagit

The Stillaguamish River will open for pink salmon fishing on September 1st. Karl already has the day off from work to go fishing.

"Leaper" by Tom Jay (2003)
Sculpture of Salmon (Not a Pink) in Mount Vernon's Edgewater Park to honor the salmon that spawn in the Skagit River

Now that you've seen a glimpse into my world, click on the badge below to check out others.

17 comments:

poefusion said...

That's some great fishing going on. Hope Karl has a good run tomorrow. The fish sculpture is a great addition to the river area. Odd that no one can use barbed hooks/ live bait though. I think it would be most challenging to catch one without those things and much more satisfying. Hope all is well. Have a great night.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Sally: Nice captures of the fishing out on the coast. I caught salmon in the ocean but never in the river. I hope Carl has a great day.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the salmon are back and I hope they are plentiful this year. I love smoked salmon, well everything salmon.

Catherine said...

so glad those salmon are back in full force...

Sylvia K said...

Ah, and I do love salmon -- pink, red, smoked -- whatever! Looks like a fun fishing trip! Great shots! Hope Karl pulls in a bunch of them!

Have a great week!

Sylvia

Barb said...

Good Luck to Karl. I hope he gets plenty of salmon to smoke. (I actually just had some for supper!)

Rajesh said...

Very interesting post on the fishing experience. This is surely a fun filled even as depicted by your excellent snaps.

Snap said...

Very interesting and I loved the photos. Beautiful country. Good luck to Karl. Smoked salmon ... yummmmmm!

James said...

That looks like fun. You have given me a craving for salmon. I bet it's hard to get it fresh around here.
Interesting post and great photos.

Gaelyn said...

Oh how I miss the taste of fresh salmon, I'd settle for smoked. The Skagit looks very busy. Sure hope Karl does well on the Stillaguamish. Nice captures Sally.

SandyCarlson said...

You deserve them if you catch them. That is some challenging fishing. Great shots, Sally. And good luck with preparing the fish for winter.

Regina said...

Beautiful world!

Rinkly Rimes said...

I've never eaten American salmon but the Canadian ones were lovely. Is there any rivalry?

Cezar and Léia said...

oh gosh, I love salmon! What can I say now...FAbulous post dear Sally!
Congrats
Léia

Elaine Yim said...

This looks like great fun and adventure. Fabulous photos.

Happily Retired Gal said...

Looking at your wonderful boating and fishing photos makes me remember my own experiences of the past with fondness. Salmon is ALWAYS good eating ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

hope he did good! We could not believe all the fisherman we saw over the weekend.