Thursday, January 22, 2009

Smokey Point, WA

It's been a foggy week around here. And cold, too. Yesterday when I was on my way to work, I stopped to take a picture of the sun trying to burn through the thick fog in Smokey Point, WA. I was hoping to get another picture today without the fog for a comparison. No such luck. Still thick fog all day. On a clear day, you would be able to see Mt. Pilchuck in the background.


View looking east from the Whidbey Island Bank parking lot

I've read that the place name of Smokey Point, WA originated from the name of a restaurant that was located at the crossroads. The Smokey Point Cafe was a 1950s outdoor barbecue restaurant so named because of an ever-present plume of smoke coming from it. A Rite Aid drugstore sits on the site now. There isn't a "point" in Smokey Point either.

I think it should have been called Smokey Point because of all the fog that occurs in this area. Smokey Point can be foggy, and I mean dense fog, when other areas are clear and the sun is out. It's like you are enveloped in heavy smoke but without the smell. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There couldn't have been a more suitable name for this place than Smokey Point :)

Love the shades of gray in this picture!