Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Where Have the Trumpeter Swans Gone?

Typically this time of year, our lake is home to several hundred Trumpeter swans. We've noticed over the past few weeks that the swans are not here in the evening. We've got a flock of Canada geese hanging around, but no Trumpeters.

We suspect that the snow storms over the Christmas holidays and the subsequent freezing of a large portion of the lake surface made the swans depart for other accommodations. I saw a few this past weekend in the fields not too far from the house so I know some are still around, just not on our lake.

We miss the "music" they brought to the neighborhood as they returned each night to rest.

Trumpeter Swans - A Year Ago

2 comments:

Small City Scenes said...

That is so neat. It have always seen the Swans in the skagit Valley not thinking about on the lake. South of Stanwood on the flooded cornfields there are a lot too. I haven't seen the masses of Snow Geese in the Valley this yoar like usual. I imagine the long period of snow sent them elsewhere too. Too bad. Your lake is beautiful. MB

Small City Scenes said...

May I use the picture as background for my computer? MB